Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Never Play Leapfrog With A Unicorn


The weekend was definitely something different from the city life I have become accustomed to in Dublin. Five of us girls took the train to Killarney and stayed at a farmhouse B&B. I could tell the difference between Killarney and Dublin as soon as I stepped off the train. It wasn’t an overwhelming silence like Howth or Sandycove; Killarney still had a nice sized City Centre and had a small carnival going on with all kinds of rides and various stands. It was more just the overall atmosphere. There wasn’t as much hustle and bustle, or maybe it was just that I wasn’t speed walking to my next destination. Whatever the case, Killarney just seemed to be giving off a more relaxed vibe, which is saying something because all of Ireland itself is has seemed very relaxed.

The B&B was three miles from downtown Killarney, so we had to take a cab. The area was beautiful. It had a wide-open yard covered in sheep, and various pens on the edge of their property that housed donkeys, potbelly pigs, ducks, emus, and chickens. They had a stable that was home to horses, a large little of bunnies, and puppies.






It was the sort of place I would normally spend my summers, and it was an odd feeling being there after living in the city all summer. It felt almost as if the past seven weeks couldn’t have been real, like my summer hadn’t started yet. While we were exploring the grounds, we could see into the Killarney National Park Forest. It was gorgeous! It was so green, and mystical, like a forest you would see in Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings but would never think that it was real. My vote for the next family vacation is backpacking through the Killarney National Park.

That night we went into Killarney for dinner. Our cab driver recommended Murphy’s Pub. We listened and were very thankful. The food was delicious, and we got to watch some gaelic football between Donegal and Kildare. Hanging on the wall was a Murphy’s Pub shirt that listed off Murphy’s Laws. They were all very insightful, but one I found particularly enlightening: “Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.”

After dinner we walked around the downtown streets, taking in the various aspects of the summer festival they were having and looking for champion golfer Rory McIlroy. It was the weekend of the Irish Open, so what better time to run into some pro golfers, right? Our searching was in vain, as to be expected. Our cab driver told us that the golfers had been out earlier in the week just after they had arrived, but know that the Irish Open was in full swing, they would be spending their nights resting in their hotel rooms. A bit disappointing, but the night wasn’t a total loss, I did learn never to play leapfrog with a unicorn.

The next morning, as I got ready, I heard the horses coming back into the stables from the open yard. The farmhouse and animals already made me feel like I was back at the Ranch, but that was just the icing on the cake. I could picture Courtney, Liz, and April sending the horses running from down in the fields up to the barn to prepare them for the campers.

After a delicious homemade Irish breakfast and my first freshly brewed coffee of the summer (okay my first three, but it was really good and they were small cups), we said goodbye to our cute B&B and it’s owners. We went into Killarney once more where we got on a tour bus that would take us around the Ring of Kerry. The Ring of Kerry is a tour loop that shows you the beauty of County Kerry. The weather and the land were both gorgeous. I can’t even begin to describe it in words, and I know these pictures won’t do it justice, but if you are lucky enough to make it to Ireland, the Ring of Kerry is definitely something you need to see.










We arrived back in Killarney with just enough time to pop into Penney’s to find some inexpensive all-white things to wear out that night. Dandelion was having a white party, and my flat mate, Kajsia, and another girl, Sam, knew the dj for the event after meeting him last week when they spent the weekend at Sam’s supervisor’s house in Wicklow (the dj is the supervisor’s nephew).

On the train ride back I finished my book, A Million Little Pieces. It is a really good book that is disturbing and sad, but has a few happy and uplifting bits. I definitely recommend it.

We arrived back in Dublin around 9:30 and head out donned in our white outfits. It was a great weekend in Ireland, but ended with sadness when the realization set in that is was my FINAL weekend in Ireland. If come away from it with anything it will be to never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! For one those animals, especially the puppy, are soooo cute! And for another I am TOTALLY jealous that you get to go to Dandelion, again... and go to what seems like an epic white party! So cool! Anddd, A Million Little Pieces is so good. Yes it is a bit disturbing, but I loooved it! Miss you, can't believe you are still there! I feel like I have been home for soo long! :]

    PS: That dress seems cute, but maybe just a tad over my ability since I go for things that only require cutting and tying, haha. I made a cool fringe shirt yesterday though and it looks really cool!

    ReplyDelete