Friday, July 29, 2011

Number 7 Isn't Feeling That Lucky Anymore


Here marks the end to my seventh week in Dublin. Seven weeks. I never had considered seven weeks to be short, but with the speed that my summer in Ireland has flown by, I’ve learned that seven weeks is an incredibly small amount of time. Everyday sight here holds even more meaning than it did before. I can’t help thinking, this may be the last time I see that museum, that café, that street pole. In reality, I will probably pass it a good many times more, but I can’t fight off the nostalgia that is already setting in.

Seven weeks. Seven days until I board a plane taking me away from what has been my home for seven weeks. Seven is quickly becoming my least favorite number.

My seventh week at work went well like my previous six. I got a lot done editing wise. All four 5-minute clips are finished and I’ve got 15 out of 22 minutes put together on the big one. The office is much quieter now with the Finance Director, and two visiting Lead Researchers back in their respective locations and two others from the office on holiday. My bosses left Thursday, leaving the office down to two, Flavia and I. Today, Flavia left for the airport for her holiday at three so I was the only one left for my last three hours before I closed up shop for the weekend.

Tuesday, I met up with some family friends. My mom’s cousin was married by an Irish pastor and became good friends with him and his family. She and her husband have been to Ireland to visit them and vice versa. The pastor’s brother has ten boys, the youngest of which lives with his fiancé in Dublin. So, my mom’s cousin passed along his contact information, and Tuesday night we were able to meet up for pints after work (how Irish!). He and his fiancé were great fun. They were incredibly nice, treating me to Irish cider, and incredibly interesting. The amount of traveling they have done is crazy. They’ve seen so much of the world and are only 30! I hope I can cover as much ground in my next ten years. We spent nearly four hours just chatting away. They were incredibly lovely people, and I’m so glad we were finally able to meet up.

Wednesday I discovered they do play tennis here. I had noticed earlier that there were no tennis courts around. Which was odd compared to Penn State that seems to have dozens. But on my run, I happened upon Herbert Park (a beautiful and large park not too far from where I work) and saw my first tennis courts and tennis players of the summer. I was so surprised; it took me a minute to realize what sport I was watching. I still have yet to see a baseball field or basketball court, though. I feel like I might be much less likely to come by those.

Thursday I went out with the roommates to try and finish up my Christmas and birthday shopping. I got close, but a few people are still alluding me. We happened upon this beautiful little shop called Avoca. It was filled with the most adorable furnishings for your house. It was torture, really. Picking out all these cute things for my apartment that I knew I had no way of getting home.

That night we went to Whelan’s Pub where a band was playing. Their choruses were simple enough that I could catch on after the first time through, so it looked like I knew the words and was a native Dubliner just out to see my favorite band. As much as I love singing along to the traditional Irish music (which I can do now without missing a beat!) it was a nice change of pace to be able to jump around to something a bit edgier. It reminded me of concerts and shows I had spent the early part of my last summer going to.

Now, as I close out my seventh week in my new favorite city, I am packing in preparation for my weekend in Killarney. I’ll be spending the night at a farmhouse on the edge of Ireland’s largest National Park. I can’t wait to explore the forests and play with the farm animals. I just pray that time slows down so I don’t blink and have this weekend be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment