Friday, August 5, 2011

Denial


This week was easily the fastest week of the summer. I have no idea where it went, but now that it’s gone I’ve got this giant lump in my stomach that feels a lot like dread. Dread for the plane ride that lies ahead of me tomorrow.

I have this theory that if I continue to live in denial than that means my time here won’t end. If I never get around to packing (which I still haven’t started) than that means I don’t have to leave, right? I can’t pinpoint what triggered it (I just know it was within the first weekend), but Ireland swept me off my feet, and I have no intention of coming back down.

Monday only helped to strengthen the bond between Ireland and I. It was a bank holiday, giving me a day off work, so I took the opportunity to visit Kilmainham Goal. It was the jail that was home to thousands of Irish men, women, and children during the famine and the revolutions leading up to Ireland becoming its own republic. I learned a lot about the bloody past between Ireland and Britain and how the Republic of Ireland gained their independence. Walking through the halls of the jail was so eerie. Thinking about being a prisoner and living there, it gave me chills. The stone staircases were all caved in at the middle from all the use. The west wing was the oldest. The prisoners would be given one candle every two weeks, and that would be there only source of light and heat. There were windows in the hallways, but they were kept bare, with no panes to keep the cold air out. The east wing, which was added later, was a bit nicer. It had a giant skylight to allow for a lot more light. It also had manholes in the corridor area that would allow steam from the kitchen and washrooms to come up and heat the cells.




As you can see from the picture, I don’t do well in jail.

Things are coming along really well at work. I finished up all my editing today. Now, I’m just waiting 5 years for it all to export. The 22-minute behind-the-scenes I put together will be aired on TV on Setanta Sports following the conclusion of the Yes I Can docu-series. And my name will be in the credits for Yes I Can and The Club as Production Assistant. Everyone who watches the shows will know my name. It’s only a matter of time before I strike gold on some big blockbuster and treat my parents to a summer in Ireland. My last day on the job was fun, but sad. Fun because my boss had my supervisor, Catherine, take me out to lunch but sad because, obviously, it was my last day. My boss called in and said she was sad to see me go and asked if there’s was anything she could do to make me stay. We all know the answer to that one.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got about three days worth of food to feast on and limited time left in Dublin to enjoy!

But before I go, I’d like to take this opportunity to dedicate this blog post to my dear friend Andrew Prickett, because he has been a good source of entertainment this summer, he helped me with half of my computer issues, but mostly because he was disappointed I hadn’t mentioned him yet. This is for you, Andrew. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment